Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
4 months and 36 lbs.....
Posted by Donnie
Posted Wed, Jun-26-02
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/153/145
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default 4 months and 36 lbs.....

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I'd finally post.

I actually experimented with the Atkins diet on and off with a low fat/low calorie diet ( and at times when I'd lose will power my old eating habits). I went from about 206-down to 195 last year dieting this way.

Then earlier this year, around febuary I just decided to go all out with the Atkins diet. Now from the last 4 months I went from 200lbs. to 165(I'm about 5'5"). And I have to say I'm completely convinced. So all together after hovering around 206(actually probably a bit more because my old scale seemed to weigh a bit on the low side-prolly more like 208-210) I've lost 41 pounds total and from 198 in febuary 33 lbs in the last 4 months.

I get comments from friends that I've been bumping into that can hardly believe the results. And every area of my life has benefited from it.

What's been working for me. Experimenting with different foods. Steak, chicken breasts, tuna, and lots of eggs have been the main stay-sometimes cheese. I've kept my carb count extremely low at times too. I also include low carb shakes and lately high protein low carb bars. They're convience is a big plus. I don't like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen so anything that is quick and easy is a plus and I also like to grill when ever possible. The interesting thing is I use to get a spike all the time-almost daily when I'd start craving carbs(at the time I didn't know it was carbs and insulin levels triggering this). Now I never get this. And I use to actually be able to go most of the day without eating but I would always get cravings before bed( I think that's the main reason for a steady weight gain from since I was about 20). That's all gone aswell.

I did hit a plateu last month but I just started taking some Ripped Fuel and that's really giving a boost and seems to be making a difference. It's actually giving me a lot more energy.

I still have a ways to go-I'd like to(and will get down to about 145 to 150 which would be another 10 to 15 lbs). I think that will be a good weight on my frame(I'm a little stalky by nature).

The other thing that helps is I try to stay flexable with my approach. I tend to follow the diet rather stringently during the week but at times slip on the weekends when I'm out having fun. Even then I try to make better choices if I can. But by not beating myself up over it and maybe doing some extra exercise( usually some extra walking) things seem to keep going in the right direction. Keeping plenty of acceptable foods with me at home or at work make the difference too.

And another stall buster for me........I have always been a soda fiend. Ever since I was a kid. Quite a few years back I made the switch to diet soda. But in the midst of a stall I cut my soda intake by about 90%-most days I don't even touck it. Increased my water intake to 100oz or more a day and this has helped too.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by luckystar on Wed, Jun-26-02, 15:12
Default way to go

I read your post. WHat a great inspiration. I have been on induction for 8 days and have lost more than 5 lbs. Do you have any other tips for losing the weight? How often did you excercise during this time? I seem to be feeling a little tired. I started with supplements of potassium today hoping this would help.

I tried to lose weight for the last 6 months at least, with low fat low cal ways. I never could. My sugar cravings always did me in. I too am a diet pop fiend. I cant seem to give it up though. I have given up coffee, and I do drink more water than I ever have. The diet drinks are so hard to give up.

Well any other advice would be much appreciated.

Good work and Good luck.

6 comments [read all comments]