View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 11:40

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Oh, one other thing. I always tried to keep my Blood sugars below 100, below 90 was even better. Now I know that is not always possible with GD, but if your Dr. sees those numbers trust me he will be very delighted.
I never felt well if my numbers were close to 120 so that is my experience.

What makes GD different from other forms of diabetes is that insulin is actually blocked from doing what it needs to do. Your body makes it, but can't utilize it. Sounds like insulin resistance doesn't it! It is believed the placenta releases a hormone that causes this, and that is why GD goes away after birth. It is also why you might see someone thin and active with GD.

I was a baby nurse, and trust me, this is all about keeping that baby healthy. GD is not good for the baby, not great for mom, but the risks are all to the baby for the most part with this condition. GD causes large babies, babies that have slower developing lungs, so they can have trouble breathing after birth, they also can have trouble with managing their own BS after birth because their little bodies can adjust to the very low blood sugars babies normally have, and drop even farther, because they still produce insulin in reaction to their mothers insulin levels for days after birth.

Good luck