View Single Post
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 13:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/196/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 0%
Unhappy

Metformin is a diabetes medication that has several desirable side effects. Like all medications, not everyone experiences all side effects and not everyone has those side effects to the same degree. Met can increase fertility by normalizing insulin usage. Our hormones are kind of like dominoes, if one tips over into an imbalance it sets off a chain reaction in other hormones as the amount of them we secrete or manufacture depends on how much of certain other hormones are present in our bodies. If insulin imbalance was at the root of your weight gain or infertility then you might have those postive side effects.

Metformin does help with weight loss in some people, of course it does...I repeat, average patient will lose about 4 pounds a year. Metformin is metabolized in the liver (that's why you are supposed to have your liver enzymes checked by a blood test every 3-4 months while taking met to make sure it's not damaging your liver in anyway) It works to make our cells more receptive to our insulin. Less insulin being secreted can contribute to weight loss. That makes met a lot different than a weight loss medication. If you are prone to insulin resistance, chances are that it may be more effective for you in weight loss. It's not a diet pill though and people need to be aware of that and to remember it. It works by affecting effectiveness of a hormone. If that hormone is being secreted at just the right amount and your cells are taking it up at optimal levels, metformin probably will not impact weight loss one way or the other. Like a previous poster said, she gained 100 pounds while taking 3000 mg (6 tablets) of metformin daily. I probably gained about 20 pounds over a 4 year period. I guess we aren't all lucky enough to get the *right* side effects.

Sorry, I should have paid closer attention to my semantics. That's why I prefer Stein-Leventhal syndrome to PCOS, it's not so confusing. I should have said there is no one DEFINITIVE test for PCOS. As misscriss said, the ultrasound was secondary to blood work and I'll bet her doctor considered her medical history and symptoms she was presenting. There are a series of tests that taken in context with each other CAN indicate Stein-Leventhal syndrome and are effective tools for diagnosis. The ultrasound is one of those. Many women who have PCOS have cystic ovaries, many do not. Many women have cystic ovaries for other reasons. However, cystic ovaries in conjunction with several indicators/markers/symptoms can be very indicative of Stein-Leventhal syndrome. Over the years and after many ultrasounds, I have cystic ovaries sometimes and sometimes they are clear. One of my daughters has always had cysts, while the other rarely shows them when checked by ultrasound. Both have PCOS btw. A friend of mine has a problem with fibroid cysts on her ovaries but she doesn't have PCOS. Confusing I know, and it sure can make it difficult to get a definitive diagnosis!

Way to go misscriss on your lifestyle modifications!

All the best
Margaret