#54   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-08, 10:37

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstares

By the way April, there is no *test* for PCOS. The diagnosis is usually made after taking a detailed personal and family health history. A bunch of blood tests are taken which may or may not show minor abnormalities. Also, a check of if any PCOS symptoms are present, how you gain your weight/how it's distributed on your body etc. It takes some women years to get a diagnosis. I was diagnosed at age 42 after presenting symptoms since my teens. Because I had no real infertility problems, doctors ruled out PCOS for me. Some people and doctors think that you ALWAYS have infertility probs with PCOS but that's not so. It's one of the more common symptoms and PCOS is the most common reason for infertility in women. But that doesn't make it an absolute. Good luck with your weight loss!

Margaret

I had a test for PCOS, an Ultrasound. It came back showing polycystic ovaries, it was VERY clear that I had PCOS. This was secondary to the blood tests. Now, not everyone with PCOS comes back with a positive ultrasound, but it certainly is a test for PCOS

As for Met/Gluc for weight loss, I'm IR and it didn't do anything for me. It did make me sick, so I guess that could have assisted with the weight loss. I dumped it because it wasn't worth the risk or the side effects for me. I started taking cinnamon and modified my diet even more, and upped the exercise. I feel much better. The key is eating well, eliminating the bad carbs (because the PCOS makes it much more difficult to process carbs) and exercise.