Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

Hi Lisa!

WOW That was a loooong post.

I know absolutely everything you posted, and I am also a reader of Atkins Center Library. I also know how to get the calculation for the "Minimum intake of Protein". So this is out of discussion.

Quote:
As for water intake, Dr. Atkins recommended at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water per day, or about 2 liters: http://atkins.com/helpatkins/newfaq...BeDrinking.html (1) You might need more if you live in a hot or dry climate or are excercising strenuously and perspiring a lot.
I'd be interested in seeing what you are basing your recommendation for a gallon of water a day or more on? (2) Quite honestly, I don't believe it's realistic especially for those who have jobs that would not allow for a bathroom break every 20-30 minutes.

Great. I have the DANDR and he states to "Drink Water until you Float" the recommendation of water intake is the same for all diets. I completely agree.

1 gallon of water = to 3.7 liters of water. Do you really think that this is A LOT of water? I still believe that the Atkins diet is High Protein and that can cause dehydration if the water intake is not upped. So uping the water intake 1.5 more liters, I don't think harms, of couse, taking the right supplements of vitamins and minerals and making sure the any dieter does not have a health problem like Oedema, hipertension, kydney Disfunction, etc, etc. But is just that, my recommendation. People take it or leave it.

Here are a couple of my sources ( I have others but just no time to look for them and post them)

Quote:
The Atkins high protein diet became popular in the 1980's due to it's ability to provide quick weight loss, as much as 10 pounds a week for many impatient dieters. Protein requires water in order to be metabolized, so a high protein diet will cause dehydration. A low carb diet also causes dehydration. When adequate dietary carbohydrates are not consumed, the body begins to draw on its carbohydrate reserves to provide glucose - this process leads to additional fluid loss. Therefore, a combination of high protein + low carb causes severe fluid loss which contributes to much of the weight loss you see initially when you step on the scale.

http://www.carboh.com/

Really Lisa, do you think is too much?

So another of my suggestions was upping their water intake or drinking water until it came out clear. Considering that we go pipi a lot, It will come out clear many times!

But is just that, my suggestion and recommendation, and of course, is PERSONAL..I'm not a Doctor Doesn't say at the top of this Forum "Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet discussion provided free for information purposes, NOT as medical advice."?

If you put in the google search bar : "Atkins" + "High Protein", you will see pages and pages and pages of information that post : "Dr Atkins High Protein Diet".

I undestand that we consider Atkins a moderate protein diet, but is not "sold" as "adequate" or "Moderate". And there are many many sources that consider that a diet that contains more than 20% Protein is High Protein.

I eat 1800 calories and 30% of protein, Is quiet a lot, and "Expensive"!( My husband wants me out of this WOE...Grrrrr....)...But of course I'm sticking with it all the way!!!!

I never in my life had more than 2 eggs 2 or 3 times a week. Now I eat between 3 to 6 eggs + meat/poulty/Fish + tuna fish + sausage, + chorizo!!
every single day, since the sun rises, and it sets.

I have found in MANY MANY posts, where some people just IMPOSE (did I spell it right?) their knowledge and ideas. Is great to inform, but is also great to see what other people think or know, due to their, Experience and Knowledge. Have you read the Atkins book from the 70's? I really think that he has evolved since then. Before we could drink Diet Sodas, for example. And now, only if they are sweetened with Splenda , and they have a Web page where they keep modifying their information after doing research. Why can't we also find what is right for us, and experiment in this WOE?