View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 04:37

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I don't believe a word of it. Salt is essential. Deficiency is real. The only possible way to avoid a deficiency is to eat too much salt. First Law: Can't create out of thin air. Therefore, too much is the only way to make sure there's enough. Physiology obeys First Law in all kinds of ways. The blood contains more than needed. Storage organs contain more than needed. We eat more than we need at every meal. The idea that consuming too much of something essential causes disease is absurd when that's precisely how disease is avoided in the first place.

Maybe we're talking about a toxic dose of salt, but I doubt it. It's very hard to eat a toxic dose of salt, whether intentionally or not. So we're talking about a couple grams of salt over a couple decades. But in fact we're talking about a couple grams of salt in one day. 2 grams. And it's not 2 grams versus 0, it's 6 grams versus 7.9 grams. There's already 6 grams being metabolized, how is 2 more grams gonna make any difference? If we can handle 6 grams just fine, and if we have to eat more to obey First Law, physiology can certainly handle that extra 2 grams.

On the other hand, what about carbs? This ain't grams, it's hundreds of grams. And carbs ain't essential. I'm just throwing this out there. What if salt is needed to deal with all the carbs? The more carbs, the more salt. We'd be more hungry for salt if we ate more carbs. Salted stuff would taste much better, we'd go for it when offered, we'd look for it when shopping, we'd eat it at breakfast lunch and dinner and snacks and when we wake up at night hungry.

Here's the thing with carbs. Absolute daily requirement is 0, yet we are told to eat at least 300 grams per day for a lifetime. This ain't 6 vs 7.9, it's 0 vs 300.

Here's the other thing with carbs. Even if we could handle 300g/day, there's the insulin, we can't handle too much of that no way no how. Insulin is the central regulator of pretty much everything. Carbs disrupt insulin, therefore carbs disrupt everything. Can't blame salt for that.