View Single Post
  #210   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-12, 21:59

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Pollyanna, thanks for bumping this thread up. It's a really good read, and very timely for me.

I've been thinking about my own reasons for self-sabotage, and I think there are three main reasons:

1. Low carb healthy eating takes a certain amount of energy and commitment from me. When other "life" and "stress" happen, I just don't have the focus and ability to keep doing low carb while dealing with whatever crisis is at hand. I don't have the time or energy. I still have to cook for others, but find it very hard take the extra time to be sure there is something for me.

2. I kind of don't "believe" that little cheats will count. As a kid I ate so much junk, and I was the scrawniest little kid ever. Skin and bones with no muscle. Of course, now I'm plenty plumped-out, but those early eating patterns have stayed with me to a certain extent. There's an element of sheer enjoyment with the taste and texture of junk food.

3. Eating carby, sugary junk soothes me. When stressed, angry, disappointed, worried, etc. etc. etc, I find temporary relief in eating junk food. I am momentarily distracted. The relief doesn't last long though. I need to remember when in these situations that I still need to deal with whatever emotion I have, instead of just delaying it by a few moments while stuffing my face with junk.