View Single Post
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/220/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I've been tinkering with this recipe and its ingredients, because the first one tasted like a microwave egg with some grains in it. It is an issue I have with several faux-bread recipes I've tried, where it is more egg than bread. The most recent attempt was more successful, here's what I changed:

I pre-grind my flax meal in a spice grinder/coffee grinder until it is extremely fine. It is a little oily, so it clumps a little while grinding, but that doesn't really matter. Right out of the bag, flax meal is too coarse and it barely absorbed the egg/butter mixture at all, which led to the egg+grain texture of my original attempts at using the recipe. I think this change moved the recipe far along into bread territory, but it turned out a bit dry and dense, so I tweaked it a bit more.

1 tbsp less flax meal
1/4 tsp more baking powder
Heavily beat egg/butter/baking powder mixture before mixing in flax. I also try to whip the finished mixture up quite a bit to get some air in it.

I think I may try doing something to get even more air into the mix, but these minor changes (grinding the flax meal into powder in particular) really helped the texture. Also, something in the mix has an 'edge' to it, a sort of metallic feel on my tongue. I'm not too familiar with flax, so I don't know if it is the flax or the baking powder. If it is the powder, I may just use some sort of normal flour in place of some of the extra baking powder. In such small quantities it is only a gram or two of added carbs.

Anyway, the modified recipe becomes:

1 egg
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp melted butter
salt/spices to taste
3 tbsp flax meal, ground into a fine powder

Beat liquid ingredients with baking powder until foamy and a bit airy. Add flax and mix well. Microwave for one minute. I really like the convenience of whipping it up in the microwave, and the end result is surprisingly bread-like. Thanks to the original poster.