View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:03
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

FYI: It took nearly a year and the loss of over 100 pounds before my insulin resistance was resolved. It didn't seem to happen slowly over time. It happened over a matter of weeks. I didn't start logging my BG on a smartphone app until 1/1/2015, but I think that I actually captured the moment when my insulin sensitivity returned (see left side of the chart below)

In November of 2014 I was getting FBG readings between 105 and 115 most everyday. I was walking regularly and had been for some time. I was also beginning to experiment with IFs at that time. I was actually surprised that I wasn't making more progress with my BG even after 9 or 10 months on the diet. A 10 or 15 net carb dinner would still send my BG above 150 most every time. Some postprandial readings exceeded 200 within the first hour after eating. I didn't take any diabetes meds, BTW. This is simply where my body was at that point in time.

Then, as you can see, as 2014 turned into 2015 my insulin sensitivity returned. A wholesale drop of about 20 points in my BG happened in a matter of weeks. Since then my FBG has mostly been in the 70 to 90 range. But more than that, my postprandial readings after a low carb meal rarely exceeded 100. The few times that it did I was experimenting with adding back some higher carb foods to my diet. Even then, a 25 net carb dinner including a side of refried beans or sweet potato fries barely crossed 100. It took a while, but I considered my diabetes 'cured' or "reversed" after this notable shift in BG happened.

I never had an NMR done early on in the process. I wish I had. I have had two done since. Both times my insulin resistance score was in the totally normal range. I would like to have had that baseline to compare to.