Old Thu, May-12-05, 09:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson401
OK ~
I am a total Protein Power novice - I haven't even received my book yet (It has been ordered and should be here within a couple of days) and I plan on reading it cover to cover when I get it. Anyways, I am most familiar with Atkins plan and was wondering if a high fiber bran cereal with a small amount of skim milk is ok on this plan? What I like is the Kellogg's Complete Wheat Bran Flakes which have 23 carbs - 5 fiber = 18 net carbs. There is also 3 grams of protein. How does this look to any of you success stories? Help me out, please

Hi there and welcome.

The short answer is NOOO!

Low fat cereals high in added sugar and High fructose corn syrup (another more dangerous sugar) and fortified with artificial vitamins and extra iron, washed down with low fat milk (also with artificial vitamins because when they took the fat out they also removed the natural vitamins!) is something that might be highly regarded on a low fat diet - but not on low carb, Incidentally low fat milk is typically higher in carbs than the regular variety (as are most "low fat" processed foods) because "non fat milk solids" are added to make it taste a little better - and NFMS is basically added lactose (another sugar) hence more carbs.

If you still want a cereal for breakfast (rather than eggs, bacon etc) then you can find recipes here for making your own from freshly ground flax seed.

I grind up almonds, flax seed, a few sesame and sunflower seeds with some cinnamon and a pinch of stevia - mix well with some WPI and some psyillium husks, add some butter or coconut oil,and then stir in some boiling water - serve with a spoon of yoghurt or cream and a few berries.

HTH

Cheers,

Malcolm