Thread: Kidney stones?
View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-18, 06:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have been eating LC less than a month, and as Diedra first mentioned, the Diet is dehydrating so be sure you have enough water and salt.
Here is an article on LC myths, then below it is a video 4 doctors discussing kidney impact/stones. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fears#kidneys

Dr Westman mentions the potassium citrate (after consulting with teaser ) From transcript:

Quote:

Can low carb be bad for the kidneys? Dr. Westman: I don't think so, other than the low rate of kidney stones, sometimes kidney stones can back up the... your inflow, but that's pretty rare. And then, we don't know if that's any more common than any kind of weight loss approach.

There is a treatment, potassium citrate, that people can use to reduce the chances of having a kidney stone. So I'll use that if someone has a history of kidney stones, just to be on the safe side. If you're talking about chronic kidney failure and they need the dialysis, there's just no evidence for that.

That's one of the last myths that is really hard to debunk because it doesn't come out of any data. I've learned what discrimination is, because it's not based on fact, so you can't find the fact that led to the idea, so you can't really debunk it.