View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 16:41

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Warburg effect. I think that's that lot of cancers appear to have such damaged mitochondria that they must rely on fermentation of glucose alone for their survival. While most (but not all) other body cells can utilize ketones/fat for fuel. Here's what I wonder: since a small number of human cells absolutely must have glucose for fuel, hence the body will manufacture glucose by way of gluconeogenesis from other substrates in the absence of dietary glucose (why the adult human dietary requirement for carbs is zero), can the cancer cells actually be successfully starved out through dietary carb restriction or will the body be forced to increase glucose availability by glucononeogenesis to keep its critical glucose-using cells fed because greedy cancer cells are snapping up most of the glucose for themselves? I don't know the answer to this. I do think cancer and insulin resistance are related in some way, hence the statistical connection between obesity (a sign of insulin resistance) and some cancers. If the relationship is causal (insulin resistance causes cancer) then taking measures to reduce insulin resistance like eating low carb, weight loss, etc. should lead to some reductions in cancer risk. Plus a lot of other diseases which have been tied to insulin resistance.