View Single Post
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 15:27

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm not an Atkins fan either. Been there done that. Gained way too many extra back when I went mainstream. Plus ketosis and induction--not for me. The worst part was buying into all the Atkins and lo carb 'treats,'--ice cream, bread, candy bars--what a total waste of good money (nothing was cheap, of course not) and it shipwrecked me, got my sweet tooth going again. I love his book The Vita Nutrient Solution, it's packed with useful information, and I love how he has confounded the USDA pyramid promoters.

This board has been an awesome source of knowlege and inspiration. Better than any for-profit website I've seen.
Biblically or historically, I think we can agree that man has messed with what was placed here on earth, often to his detriment. If we eat what was originally here and discipline ourselves to be grateful for it, we can't go very far off the path.
If I sit around whining because I can't eat my Twinkies, my attitude is messed up. (Actually, in my case it's more likely to be a whole grain boule and some imported cheese that I miss). But if I keep it very simple for now, not trying to imitate any French cuisine delices, more in the mindset of a village dweller of humble means and skills living on the plains or in the forest, then I shall find success. God did not make Little Debbies or the Cordon Bleu, God made animals, vegetables and some not terribly sweet fruit(originally, before hybridization). We can add some ingenuity, but too much and it backfires (e.g., hydrogenation of fats, an extreme example).

The milk in Gen. 18 could well have been sour milk, buttermilk,yogurt, curds--I've heard Middle Easterners and Indians from the subcontinent speak of it as a daily staple in their hot lands.

The food industry in this country is not always our friend!
I don't walk down the middle of the supermarket looking for canned beans or chicken broth any more. If I have to go to a traditional supermarket (note the use of the word 'have,' if I am obligated to) I do so very circumspectly.

The obesity epidemic could never have happened in a healthy society that lives honestly off the land and is not married to its cars. I used to travel a great deal and after leaving the slim and muscular people of other countries would marvel as I stepped off the plane in the midwest and see so many huge blonde, beefy people. It was a huge conundrum for me. Here in the west coast you see the slender grandparents from a Spanish-speaking or Asian country herding around rotund grandchildren who will struggle with loss of limbs or eyesight due to diabetes as they leave childhood. We have created a monster and I find myself in the thick of it.

But I am not disheartened. This website and many good books have shown me that there are plenty of viable alternatives. It's a question of not getting derailed. God help us in this endeavor.

I've got fabulous rosemary in my garden, which I'd love to trade for some of your wholesome eggs!