#8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 14:52

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogbreath
"And with each 10 pounds I lose, I seem to drop a size in pants (as long as I don't drop my pants) "

Betty, you're a stitch! and a role model for me. I've been doing this for since last March (a little at a time) until now I think I'm just about with the program. I've lost a little weight but I feel so much better physically that I don't want to go back for the sake of losing a little faster. I'm looking forward to losing my pants. <ha! and that can be taken so many ways - I am taking the hormones afterall>

What do you think about her ban on all artificial sweeteners?

Wow! Thanks for the kinds words FB! I'll be sure to be on my best behaviour now.

RE artificial sweeteners, I do agree and have agreed since day one! In fact I have never liked AS even before moving to 100% whole foods. BUT I have used SPLENDA on occassion to make a yummy cheesecake or a nice pumkin cake. But I don't use it for anything else.

I only make the cheesecake about once every two months or so, or for special requests for friends who are diabetic. Believe me, if I could get that cheesecake to taste good with STEVIA I would! But, even as a diehard stevia fan for moderate use, I cannot get it to taste GREAT, so I opt to use the Splenda for that application.

What I REALLY should do is avoid it altogether, but I am not compelled to do so since I use it so seldom. Even when I eat chocolate, it's the real thing, just 85-88% pure chocolate with real sugar in it. I can eat it in small amounts with no side effects or cravings, but it's taken me a couple years to get to that point.

Also, I don't like to broadcast this on this forum since it is not something that most folks can do without problems afterward, but I do use molasses to sweeten things sometimes, but in VERY small amounts. I also use pure unfiltered organic honey for certain things. But again, I don't use these very often.

I use molasses in homemade ice cream, about 2 tablespoons for the entire (quart?) bucket, as it gives it a burnt sugar taste, like creme brule (sp?). Or honey for me works well in certain teas that I don't like stevia in. Also for some berry desserts I like to use honey.

But it's taken me a couple years to get to that point. I think my body has repaired itself, obviously enough to begin losing weight at a more rapid rate than the first 2 years I was eating whole foods. So I am certain I am able to now metabolize these things more normally, therefore I don't restrict myself completely from them.

Anyway, that's my long explanation for sweeteners. For the record, when I switched over to this way of eating, I went COLD TURKEY, unlike the way Dr. S recommends in her books. I did not *self medicate* as she calls it, I just ate what I wanted within reason. I also continued to eat corn and other starchy things, and now in her new book she actually advocates it! But I have found that the NEW book is basically the way I have modified my own eating plan! I think she read my mind or has been spying on me! HA!

Also, wanted to mention I have eaten gluten free for about 3 years now and it has made a huge difference in my life! But I do eat oats and some things with gluten, but no wheat, etc.

RE is this book worth investing in -- YES! It's the best yet and puts it RIGHT OUT THERE for ya to get all the little details. I mean, it's only $13. Don't eat out one night and you can use that $$ to buy the book. And while you're there, get a few magazines and read those on the house.

--Betty