View Single Post
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 06:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think I look more like Ted Naiman than like the "two keto fat boys," and for me, holding protein down does seem to make it easier to stay leaner. Really I think the Wars shouldn't be there, I'd never tell anybody categorically that too much protein will make them fat, but I wouldn't discourage somebody from trying a more ketogenic ratio, which usually means a little less protein, either. I can't be certain exactly why eating to more ketogenic ratios puts binging in check for me. I suspect that at lower body fat levels, it takes less insulin to get my fat cells sopping up fat and reinflating, but that's a very loose understanding.

One thing that is important, though--you can't guess at things with this approach. Jimmy Moore did it for a full year, during which he lost weight. Measure ketones, glucose, recorded daily. After that, he said things like "now I know sort of by sight how big a portion of this and that I should eat." Or "I didn't really like all that measuring, it seems sort of orthorexic." Anybody who has ever done a strict ketogenic ratio should know this is rubbish. If I stop weighing my meat for a couple of months, my estimate of how much is five ounces goes way off, I'm horribly disappointed for a day or two when I go to weigh out my portions. As my appetite adjusts to being in ketosis, the disappointment disappears, and I'm happy with less.

But it can go either way. Because I'm aiming at just enough protein, I don't want to get paranoid that I'm overeating protein and wind up bulletproof coffeeing my way to not enough protein.

Protein is definitely not chocolate cake. If I way overdo protein, I might be quite a bit hungrier for a day or two. Overdoing carbs will have me going for more like a week.

I love Dr. Westman's page 4 approach, but for me, it got me down to 170 pounds and no further. Easily maintained, but still a bit overweight for me. Getting down below 160 with a higher protein, lower fat approach to low carb had me binging on ridiculous things like maple syrup or hot flaxseed cereal, going keto had an immediate, obvious, and most importantly, very much repeatable reversal of this.