Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Why "mimick" fasting?!?!?!?

Just Don't Eat.

It's the panic of low blood sugar talking when people act like skipping a meal is some kind of looming doom.

I can identify with the feeling of panic. The more metabolically out of whack that I became the more exaggerated those BG swings would get. Crashing BG after eating a junky carb meal put me in a mode where the only thing that I could think about was to eat something to get my BG back up. Eating more carbs provided quick but temporary relief. Over time I developed a near pathological fear of missing a meal and of not having food handy for a moment of "need". I don't think that I missed a meal for at least two decades and supplemented that with ever increased snacking. Doing my first 18 hour IF 2 years ago was a big deal for me. I skipped breakfast on that one and was amazed that hunger didn't get me. I did my first 24 hour fast a few weeks later with real fear and trepidation. That first longer fast went OK, too. It took several IFs to retrain my brain to lose that fear. It was so wonderful to NOT be either eating or thinking about eating during every waking hour. These days missing a meal is nothing. Most weekdays I eat only 2 meals and don't snack in between. A few years ago I would not have thought that was even possible for me -- not without miserably suffering from hunger, anyway.

So for people who are where I was, the fast mimicking diet probably sounds like a better idea. The problem for me is that underrating is harder to do than not eating. When I had a lot of extra fat on me I could get away with eating less than my BMR required. These days I find eating less than 1500 calories a day tough to do even with healthy LCHF macros. The hunger does get me. If I'm going to fast then I need to do that "Don't Eat" thing.