Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 09:06
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen B
Paleo, can you tell me how long it took for you in sobriety before you knew you had "made it"? Or how you knew that this time, I'm not going back? I have quit alcohol for a whole year before and still went back. I know it's not possible to ever feel "safe" from it's allure, but what indicators did you have that took you out once and for all?

I liked Ms Twacky's answer. I don't ever feel like I have made it. I make it one day at a time like everyone else. There are a couple of things that help me make that decision not to drink each day.

1. The program makes sense to me. I "got" it. I understand that I cannot drink-but as it says in the big book (and I am paraphrasing) understanding don't mean a whole bunch when it comes down to crunch time. That is when the HP thing steps in. I have to remember that my alcoholism is like a bad voice in my head that wants to lead me to self destruction. I cannot listen to it. I am not cured.

2. When I am having a bad day or am really stressed out, my first thought is not a drink anymore. That is a huge relief. I got to that point by having other tools to use when I am stressed out or having a bad time in my life. I don't have just bad days, really-I have bad periods. It was a long term process. I had to rewire my brain by constant repetition and usage of other things besides drinking. I am working on that with food! Now, I want doughnuts! I should talk to someone or write what is bothering me down. I need to work on that by applying all my step stuff to doughnuts. Stupid carby, sweet things.

3. Having to tell my parents I had a drink. Believe it or not, this one has helped me not drink more than once. Especially early on. I DON'T WANT to tell my parents I drank. I have not "offically" made amends to them. My mom and I talked about it and my continuing sobriety is my amends. I really, seriously don't want to have to go to them and tell them I blew it.

4. I really like being sober. A lot. More than I want a drink. I like remembering what I did last night. I like getting my Ph.D. I like teaching anatomy. I like being close to my family. I like who I am now. I like being alive. All of those things are only possible as long as I am sober and/or not obese. In short, I make a list of things I am grateful for.

Good luck to you in your journey. It is hard and sometimes painful, but it is well worth it.