View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 20:09

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Kamath had criticized intermittent fasting as a fad diet with little evidence behind it regarding body weight, compared with traditional caloric restriction.

Whoa, an idjit with a doctorate, whodathunkit!!!

A fad, huh? We fast intermittently every single day and between every single meal for our entire lives from the moment we're born to the moment we die, and we've done this for as long as our species has emerged on this planet. This makes intermittent fasting the longest standing fad ever. Ever.

Ah but the thing called intermittent fasting is slightly different. It means to extend this fast a little bit longer, like a few hours, maybe every day, maybe every other day, maybe a few days a week, or something like that. Think of it as skipping a meal once in a while, cuz that's all it is really. I just gotta wonder how ancient this practice of skipping a meal once in a while really is. How about some religious practices, huh? That's pretty old methinks, as old as those religions, and some religions are pretty old, like several thousands of years old. What a fad.

But seriously, plausible mechanisms for benefits is easy to figure out. For example, today we ask patients to fast for a day before tests, because it allows normalization of a ton of markers like BG, insulin and other hormones, cholesterol, etc. See this word - normalization. It means things go back to normal, as oppose to things being disrupted by a meal. It means fasting is, ehem, the normal thing to do.

But, we gotta eat, dumbass!!! Yes, we do. We gotta eat something, but this thing must be as close to normal as possible, the least disrupting. But we don't do that, we eat all kinds of crap, disrupt things so far we get sick from it. From there, the benefits of fasting are even more plausible, and in the facts even more, ehem, factual.

Hold on now. We eat all kinds of crap, disrupt things so far we get sick from it? What kind of crap? The processed kind. I mean, if it wasn't processed, nobody in their right mind would eat that crap, cuz it's crap, ya? How do we know it's crap? Before it's processed, in its raw form, it's utterly recognizable as crap - we know for a fact it's inedible.

Nah, all that reasonable plausible stuff, it's woowoo. We need sciance, dagnibit!!! Well here's my promise to you. Science is likely to find that a) intermittent fasting is beneficial, and b) fresh food (you know, the thing that actually feeds us?) is better than processed crap, and c) the benefits of fasting are greater in the context of a diet of processed crap.

I didn't read Kamath's post, need registration and I won't do that.