View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-11, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Adkins
Stats: 221/199/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 43%

You know, any time you give up an addiction, especially one that has become woven into the relationships in your life, you will find all of the relationships changing.

I quit smoking pot with my first husband and his friends because it causd me to have asthma attacks (a REAL downer!)...and found myself divorced. That was in the 70's.

I quit drinking AND smoking (tobacco) in the 80's, and lost all of my friends because I couldn't go out and 'party' without longing for that beer and cigarette. I chose to go for a run or bike ride instead because it was that important for me to lose the bad habits that were affecting my health.

My eldest daughter recently discovered she was pregnant...right before a long-planned trip to Kansas City to watch the Boston Red Sox school the Royals with several of her friends. No way was she going to NOT see her Red Sox play...but several friends were miffed that she wasn't interested in doing the bar scene afterwards. One tried very hard to convince her that "just a few beers" wouldn't hurt! Needless to say, daughter won't be running with that bunch, even after Baby is born!

Treating your friend with compassion and understanding is a fine thought...but if Miss Downer threatens to affect the positive changes you have made in your life, I'd step away. You have worked hard to remove the toxic substances that were poisoning your body. Don't let a 'toxic' personality poison your mind and soul, and throw a major wrench into your momentum.