Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 07:35

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidC
Tis. Hey, long time no see.

I have profound sympathy for people who bash their heads against the wall trying to lose weight. There's no magic formula, and it seems likely that most of the advice we get on weight is useless - the standard mantra of "calories in, calories out" oversimplifies and then backfires when it doesn't work.

It's like trying to quit smoking, which I have still not succeeded at despite multiple attempts. Psychiatrists finally realized that quitting is complicated, often requiring multiple strategies tailored to the individual. "Just say No" doesn't cut it for most people, whether it's diet or smoking.

My doctor had some pretty good advice for me when I was trying to quit smoking and I sympathize with your struggle. You're right, losing weight and quitting smoking are very similar and both require a change in mind-set.

The "aha" moment in quitting smoking came for me when I realized that I had to quit "trying" and "just quit" period! Sunflower seeds in the shell helped with the hand-to-mouth thing without adding a bunch of pounds - one at a time slows down the munching wonderfully. But also, you have to be prepared for a period of mourning - whether it's junk food or smokes, you're abandoning your best friend, the one you always turn to for help celebrating good things and to help console you when you're unhappy, the one thing in your life that was always there when you needed it.

Just thought I'd share what worked for me.