#13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 14:32

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I'm a bit torn on the hfcs vs. sucrose thing. On the one hand it might be prudent to be wary of the great increase in free fructose vs. fructose bound as sucrose in the diet, that seems more likely to be a big deal to me than the small increase in percent fructose. On the other hand, trust sugar itself seems horribly imprudent to me, I shuddered a while back when I saw people hoping to improve their health by getting coke made with sucrose from Mexico.

The canary in the coal mine Pima Indians got in trouble just fine with plain old sugar.

Oh I don't doubt at all that things will not improve (at least not significantly) as food processors slowly switch from HFCS back to sugar. Part of the problem is simply the vast number of products which never had sugar in them to begin with, but over the last 40 years or so, the HFCS salesmen convinced a few food processors that a little sweetness (from the very easily incorporated HFCS) perks up the flavor of their product, resulting in increased sales. Then their competition also added a little HFCS to perk up the flavor in their products, so they increased the sweetness a little more, in order to perk up the flavor even more in order to hold onto sales. It's at the point now that I think the most popular commercial tomato sauces almost ought to be in the dessert aisle, since they can have as much as 16 g carbs (mostly sugars, most of that added sugars) in 1/2 cup serving. Compare that to a tomato sauce made purely of tomatoes and seasonings such as herbs and garlic, at only 6 g carbs per 1/2 cup serving.

Now that the consumer is used to such a sweet product, a product which at one time was never sweetened at all, when the manufacturers switch to sugar to maintain that sweetness, the consumer is still going to be getting more sugar (and more fructose) in their diet than they did before the HFCS was added. It's not going to help much, if at all. Actually, it could result in even more diabetes, as the consumer is going to end up with slightly higher blood sugar than they did with the HFCS.