View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 15:03

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
“I think a lot of people are really getting tired of all of these really restrictive diets and are more interested in learning how to eat properly in a way they can work into their lifestyle, based on the basic ideas of moderation and good diversity,”

I totally agree. Let's illustrate.

Potatoes once in a while is moderation. Since it's not always potatoes, it follows that it creates good diversity to eat something else, also once in a while. When it comes to eating something, "none" is a valid choice. In fact, it's not just a valid choice, it's the first choice, i.e. are we hungry? Yes or no, where "no" means we eat none of it.

Let's widen our interpretation of moderation and good diversity. Let's say we eat Paleo sometimes, Atkins sometimes, some other diet sometimes, and so forth. Doing this adheres to the imperative of moderation, where we do not eat any excess of any particular diet for any length of time. And by the very nature of this method, we also adhere to the imperative of good diversity, where we eat a much wider variety of all available foods. Unfortunately for the potato people, this means potatoes will form only a tiny fraction of the total food eaten.

By their very nature, all diets restrict some food or other. In fact, the official guidelines restrict fat and meat. I have an idea. Instead of a guideline that tells us what to eat and what not to eat, how about a guideline that gives us solid information about food so we can make informed decisions for ourselves. We're adults after all, we should be able to decide, ya?