View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 10:46

Plan: 90% classic Schwarzbein
Stats: 342/257/165 Female 5'7"
BF:>55%/51%/<30%
Progress: 48%

This is an old thread, but just in case someone else (like me!) has similar issues, I thought I'd throw in a reply anyway.

I have significant problems with ADD as well. When I began truly struggling to do my job, my doctor (with a psychiatrist) put me on Strattera and Ritalin. That did the trick, but I was unhappy. I like the fast-firing, sparkly-attracted, scatterbrained, passionate me! So, I changed my lifestyle to accommodate my ADD rather than trying to fit my ADD into my lifestyle. It's still hard sometimes, though.

Ever since reading that high fat diets can calm epilepsy in children, I've wondered whether a low-carb diet might help with ADD. I thought I saw a difference when I tried low-carb years ago. This week (after two weeks on Schwarzbein), I noticed a clear difference. Organization isn't a struggle. My procrastination is gone. I think my memory is less patchy. I'm also more calm and more energetic at the same time, if you know what I mean: it's a good, productive energy rather than that restless fluttery energy interspersed with exhaustion that I used to have.

I still drink coffee and one Coke Zero daily -- my adrenals are pretty burnt -- and this may be a temporary condition. For now, I'm pleased with the change and I'm hoping it will continue and allow me to eventually taper off of caffeine. I feel balanced this week, not sedated, and that's pretty darn awesome.