#20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 07:43

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
But a couple of grams is probably not even statistically significant. As someone else posted (and sorry I can't attribute properly, but there are so many Kwasniewski posts and threads that I find it hard to go back and look for it) all our numbers are just "best guesses" anyway.

So baby steps, baby steps .... I'm down another pound today. That's 2 for this week now. Added to last week's 3 I'm down a total of 5. <Happy Dance>
Merpig, that's great about your loss! I think Kwas. is correct, that high-fat, low-protein is what many, if not most, insulin-resistant and diabetics should follow. I keep thinking of a diabetic friend who always insisted that she just couldn't stay on low-carb diets like Atkins and Protein Power for more than a week because low-carb, high-protein always made her feel physically ill. Now we know the mechanism that explains why she feels this way.

But I think you're also right in that if one is used to eating LOTS of protein (and I'm one too, especially since I raise my own of all kinds of meat) it's probably easier to step into OD slowly, which might be why there's a three-level version floating around.... someone discovered that starting with a higher protein level and working their way down to the optimal level helped them stay on it longer. It probably doesn't have anything to do with how long one has been on low-carb.

The other disconnect I'm getting about OD is that the 1/ 2.5/ .8 based on optimal weight seems to be putting it in a lower-calorie diet, which is not the impression I get from reading various newspaper articles about the "Polish Atkins." It seems from one video interview that those women, who look very tiny by the way, ate some 200+ g fat per day; and the sample diets at Homodiets are all around 250 g F and about 2500-3000 calories.

I think it's important not to get obsessed about the exact ratio of P/F/C to eat, since like Merpig says, the difference between 2.5 and 3.5 is really only a few calories, especially when one's been overdoing protein before. Plus we can never know exactly what percentage of P/F/C we're eating anyway... maybe the difference between what you're really eating and what FitDay says you're eating is 2.5 or 3.5 anyway. Why drive yourself crazy?

Just do the best you can.