View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 12:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb PCOS - basic info. and some lowcarb-friendly links ..

I'd posted this information to another member in their journal, and it occured to me that other folks may find this helpful as well

If you know of other lowcarb-friendly PCOS resources such as websites or books, post here to let us know

Doreen

=====================================

Not every girl or woman diagnosed with PCOS will have or develop all the known symptoms. Yes, fertility can be affected, but that doesn't necessarily mean total infertility. Many women do conceive on their own, others require medical intervention .. and some women may never conceive at all.

There may be a genetic link, but it hasn't been proven. Some cases of PCOS occur without a family history of this or any other insulin resistance syndrome. And it may be triggered by side effect of certain anti-seizure medication (valproic acid).

Low-carbing (combined with exercise) has been shown to help control and reverse the insulin resistance and ultimately the PCOS symptoms, as one would expect. But it's mostly anecdotal, and not all "experts" are agreed or approve of this approach Just like diabetes. So, it might be wise to "shop around" for a Reproductive Endocrinologist who is familiar with and approves of carb-controlled diets. I hope this will get easier over time, as more physicians become aware of the truth ..

I searched around the web for the best sites with information about PCOS and which supported low-carbing. There are a bazillion sites, many of which are personal webpages or unmoderated support resources which are useful, but tend to be filled with misinformation .. and vegetarians.

- PCOS Frequently Asked Questions .. from the InterNational Council on Infertility Information Dissemination (INCIID) has been one that I've referred to often. The information is well-researched and reliable, IMO. It includes a review of various LC diet plans.

- SoulCysters.com - is a professionally maintained personal site. It is friendly and informative .. much of the info. is presented in message-board format. Low-carb supportive.

- Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome - "PCOS" - isn't a website, it's a medical article/pamphlet with excellent information about the etiology, diagnosis and various medical treatments for PCOS and its symptoms, especially hirsutism. Only problem .. it doesn't address diet at all Of course, it's geared to drs, so stresses drug therapies. But still useful nonetheless.

- this isn't a useful website, it's an article posted this past February at BBC Inside Out ... FERTILITY FEARS. Don't be eating when you read it, you'll choke. And don't have a knife in your hand, you'll be tempted to stab somebody .. unless you have plenty of willpower

There's a link in that article to a UK-based PCOS support group .. Women's-Health.co.uk .. but unfortunately they promote a "nice low fat low sugar diet"