View Single Post
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 02:19

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

My own issue with coconuts and coconut products is that I think they are potentially overused by some paleo folk. Personally, my ancestry is 100% Northern European. Thus, I am a little hesitant to make coconuts a huge part of my diet. I eat curries and whatnot, but there are people out there with a similar genetic background to mine who make all kinds of stuff out of coconut, and use coconut products as "substitutes" for grain. I am not saying that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, BUT I do not think it is unreasonable for someone of European descent to be a little skeptical of tropical foods. Sort of like how I would think someone of African descent might (rightly) avoid dairy products, whereas I personally do very well on them.

I think coconuts and tropical fruits are wonderful foods, I merely wonder if they are best-suited for someone whose ancestors crawled out of a hut in Scotland a couple hundred years ago. That person might simply want to consider if berries would be a more suitable fruit for them to eat instead of mangoes.

Honestly, I am paleo but I even am willing to concede that some people's heritage would make grains reasonably okay, so long as those grains were prepared the traditional way. Same goes for dairy. Though with that I would add the caveat that it should be whole milk or naturally fermented dairy. (I THRIVE on whole milk kefir)

So far this is my list of things NO ONE does well on:

HFCS
Sugar
Fruit Juices
Corn (as it is bred/prepared today)
Wheat (as it is bred/prepared today)
Seed Oils
Soy (as it is bred/prepared today)
Low-fat dairy products