View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 10:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Daryl, I always used to call myself vegetarian because, although I always ate fish and seafood, the religion in which I was raised and the religious dietary practices I had to follow consider seafood/fish meatless.

However, being vegetarian wasn't always about animal rights. It used to be primarly about religion (Christian fasting, Jewish dietary laws, Buddhist and Hindu dietary consideratios.) In the 70s, a large percentage of people who adopted vegetarian eating practices were eliminating/reducing meat because it was just too expensive. We also all thought we were doing better by the planet by not eating foods (meat) which have such high production costs per serving. There was far less of an 'all or nothing' approach to meatless eating, and none of the 'true vegetarian' argument that I hear a lot these days. It was perfectly acceptable to just reduce the amount of meat you ate, or to confine your consumption to sustainable things (like eggs, dairy and fish.)

My cancer journey is, I'm afraid, never-ending. I'm stage IV, and I move between periods of remission and periods of active cancers. But for everyone who points to a vegetarian diet as the way to eliminate cancers, I am happy to point out that...um...not so much! I was pretty much completely vegetarian from the mid 70s through the 90s, or more than 20 years. Still got cancer...and was in stage IV at diagnosis with only a few weeks of warning symptoms to boot. Since CRC is typically a slow growing cancer, I likely was still eating 100% meatless while it was developing. So much for that theory.
Doesn't mean I would forsake a meatless diet, but I certainly wouldn't switch based on the very limited justification that eating veg might reduce chances of developing cancer. It might...and it might not.

Anyway, please let your friend know that I believe it's relatively easy to adapt a meatless eating style to low carbing...especially to a plan like Protein Power. If your friend eats eggs and fish, she'll be able to get in her protein minimums, and the only thing she'll have to do is greatly reduce any menu dependence on grains and higher carb beans.

Good holidays!