#6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 15:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay
Gaelen: I agree that for the most part vegetarianism is healthier, but I agree with Wifezilla that it's also possible not to eat healthy on it.

Oh, I agree, Tam...one of the things I did in the 70s and have continued to do is actually teach people *how* to eat healthy as vegetarians and vegans...and by healthy, I mean getting enough protein and fat, and however possible using organic or unprocessed foods. When I learned the vegetarian staples in my repertoire, the only prepackaged vegetarian foods available at my grocery store were things like Celantano's full fat eggplant parmesan, Stouffers veggie lasagne, and the occasional hockey-puck veggie burger. I did know people who thought cheese pizza, fries and vanilla milkshakes were the height of veggie cuisine. But with Moosewood only an hour away, well, learning about much healthier veggie cooking was something you just did.

I did try to 'control' fat for awhile, but that didn't last long. And when I first learned how to cook vegetarian, it was from my Indian, Arab, Persian and Asian friends--and trust me, that stuff is NOT low fat cooking! Ghee and olive and sesame and coconut oil were in heavy use in my college kitchen, and they still hold honored places there today.