#9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-13, 07:54

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Part of the reason why it is low fat is that he worked with nutritionists to create it and we all know what 'they' say. His credentials gave it credibility in the medical community.

This is so true. I felt a real disconnect between his introduction and the recipes in the book. He talks about replacing carbs with fat to stabilize blood sugar, and yet the recipes are filled with low fat substitutes. My take on it was that he wanted to sub the saturated fat in dairy products and meat with "healthier" olive oil and other monounsaturated fats, so he advises low fat foods, then adds a small amount of fat back in. Still, I remember when I started SBD I was eating much more fat, especially saturated fats, than I had been before.

His credentials have everything to do with why I ever began Low Carb - my doctor recommended SBD. It took Gary Taubes to convince me that Atkins might be credible. The switch was right for me, but I still think SBD is a basically sound plan and a huge improvement over the SAD.