View Single Post
  #209   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 13:57
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I did a 12 mile MAF walk/jog through the neighborhood this morning. I was feeling good and the weather was nice (for a change), so my planned 7 mile outing turned into just over 12 miles in 3 hours. That was the longest distance that I've covered in one workout since I was 20 years old. It was fairly cool outside, but humid. I lost 7 pounds of sweat and was totally soaked by the time I was done. After a shower I felt great. I still have plenty of energy for the day.

As far as the MAF thing goes... I was able to slow jog on the flats and downhill legs of my neighborhood walk for most of the first 8 miles. I walked the uphill sections. Later in the workout I had trouble keeping my HR below 135 and had to cut back on the jogging. The last 2 miles I was simply walking at a quick pace to keep my HR planted firmly in my optimal 120 to 130 BPM MAF zone. I'd read that it is normal to have to slow down in the later stages of a longer workout. That appears to be true. My average speed for the first several miles was 4.3 MPH. The last two miles I was only moving 3.7 MPH, but still in the MAF target zone.

Yesterday I squeezed in a 30 minute bike ride between thunder storms. I rode in the flatter neighborhood next to ours. My HR was fairly consistent and mostly in my MAF zone. So it looks like I can make bicycling workouts part of my MAF training. I may go for a spin later this afternoon when it cools down (if the thunder storms don't pop up again).