#203   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 20:33
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%
Default MAF Workout Progress

In the weeks since purchasing my new fitness tracker with HR monitor I've really put it to good use. It seems that most everyday I'm working out a little harder than before, shooting for that MAF low cardio zone. I was a little surprised, or better stated -- somewhat disappointed, with how little effort it took to exceed my MAF HR limit, which for me is about 130 bpm max. When I started this speed walking was not enough to reach my minimum HR (115 bpm) and the slowest jogging would soon put me over. I could find a way to stay in the MAF zone on exercise equipment well enough, but I found it difficult to do on my walking/jogging sessions. I had to mix walking and short slow jogs to stay in the ballpark of my target heartrate when out pounding the pavement. I've kept at it, though. I want to see if this MAF thing works.

But alas, I've made some progress. Today at the Y I was able to keep jogging 95% of the time on a 1 hour MAF workout. The indoor track at the Y is 1/16th of a mile, flat, and the room is kept cool. It was a slow jog (5 mph) and when I stuck to that slow pace my HR was planted in the 125 to 130 range (the max of my MAF zone). I goofed a couple of times and started jogging at a faster pace. When that happened and my HR crept too high I'd walk for a short distance to get back the HR back in the zone, then resume slow jogging.

So I am a happy camper. This does appear to be working. I am clearly improving my low zone cardio stamina. I'm working a little harder and the HR is staying the same. In another couple of weeks I hope to be doing a more "normal pace" jog while staying in my MAF HR zone. But is that wishful thinking? I guess all that I can do is to keep doing my thing. What will be will be.