View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/150/130 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Beware of O'Brien's!

I was in town today, and I noticed O'Brien's sandwich shop had a poster advertising a new low carb range. So, I thought I'd treat myself.
I went in, and was given a low carb menu with about 6 items on it - no carb counts given. I ordered the chicken and roasted veg wrap, asked what the carb count was - the girl said she didn't know. Another girl said she would ring and find out (??). I said ok, and I'll have the sandwich. First, the girl lift a wrap from a pile (didn't say low carb, and looked like an ordinary tortilla.) I said, are you sure thats low carb? She replied - yes, its a tortilla. Hmmm. Then she slathered in a tomato sauce (out of another unmarked pot - I'm worried now). She puts on chicken - well, thats ok. Then onions, a kidney bean and sweetcorn salad, lettuce, and then picks up a bottle of HONEY and lemon dressing - at this point I stop her. After a short discussion I established that the tortilla was just a plain tortilla, the tomato sauce had sugar (as did the honey dressing) and well, beans, corn and onion aren't exactly low carb. The only thing low carb was the chicken and the lettuce!
I didn't get annoyed - just pointed out to the girl that it wasn't low carb in the slightest. The other girl came off the phone and said the carb count was unknown as it varied according to the sandwich maker! Well, umm, thats helpful. I told them to keep the sandwich, and I'd be writing to head office. They looked at me like I was some kind of nut. We've got a long way to go regarding low carb in Ireland!
Sponsored Links