View Single Post
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 13:57
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I'm post meno some 15 years now. Ovaries in situe but uterus removed with a ginormous fibroid years ago. No HRT for a long time after that surgery but then my doc started me on Premarin "on principle". I dumped that pretty quick because it caused severe leg cramps and a classrsoom teacher on her feet all day doesn't need that. We then tried pure Estrace and I tolerated that OK for a year or so. 'Bout that time the negative literature was coming out on HRT and I stopped everything about 10 years ago.

Stress-related cortisol issues (mine was off the norm charts) after my Dad died 6 years ago brought on some testing that revealed a number of other hormonal issues. Finally my doc was convinced, with much pressuring by me, to test my thyroid as well. Usual story, TSH normal, but further tests revealed I'm not so normal and he has started me on Armour thyroid 2 mos. ago and Levothyroxine 30 days ago. Finally, my excessively low body temps are finally climbing closer to 98's in the evenings. No more 94's, 95's and only occasionally wake up to 96's. Other thyroid and adrenal symptoms have not abated, however......yet. My doc isn't a believer in "adrenal fatigue, BTW". But I've only been on thyroid meds for 60 days and he's probably going to be fine tuning dosage for awhile.

Saliva and blood tests a year ago also revealed high cortisol and estrogen, progesterone and testosterone imbalances and basically that I'm estrogen dominent as progesterone is severely deficient (stress-related cortisol is known to deplete progesterone levels). Guess my ovaries are finally "petering out" as my OB-GYN surgeon told me years ago they would, eventually.

Current doc first tried just progesterone cream, but no symptom relief, other than mood and temperament. He now has me on BHRT pellet implants (since last March) for testosterone and estrogen, but has recently added Biest cream (less cancer risk than other forms of estrogen) and more progesterone cream to the regimen. Mood and ability to handle stress is improving noticeable by me and hubby. Energy levels are a little better, too.

So for me, the jury is still out on BHRT and whether my doc is on the right track with the BHRT levels he's aiming for and the thyroid therapy. Don't know when it's time to say he may not know what he's doing and maybe I need to find an endocrinologist. But I hear THEY don't always know what to test for and investigate when it comes to thyroid issues, either!