#13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 15:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Euh, a simple logic. The Bellevue all-meat trial shows excess protein is impossible or with benign effects if at all, with some caveat specific to an all-meat diet (i.e. must eat enough fat, must be some fresh meat, etc). Conversely, kwashiorkor shows protein deficiency is possible and with severe and permanent effects. So, more protein is always better than less protein. And since RDA is a minimum to avoid deficiency but does not account for any unforseen situations that could require more protein, then more than RDA is always better than equal or less.

Gotta disagree here, anytime that a greater elevation of ketones is desirable. For my n=1, I get some benefits from restricting protein as well as from restricting carbohydrate. It's possible that being freed from binging, and reduced social anxiety/depression comes at a cost to lean mass or has some other cost to my well being, I don't know if this is true or not, I can't tell by performance or tape measure. But I don't know that we always have the option of optimizing for all things, either.

Also the Bellevue trial was pretty small. A study like that is powered enough to show that an all-meat diet will not universally cause deficiencies in humans--but it's not strong enough to conclude that this diet will be sufficient to meet the needs of all humans.