View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-07, 22:51
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Well I find it all interesting. But I think the whole point that the research Gary Taubes reviews is neglected by that kind of thing.

If I could just go eat 100g of carb a day I would. And I can -- except that eating carbs makes me exhausted and crave carbs, which makes staying on the 'more moderate' approach impossible. I've tried several variants on carb cycling and none worked for me at all, not because it wasn't good (I think it is), but because of how eating carbs makes me exhausted (ketosis takes care of that), makes me crave them, etc.

It's rather like the logic that if one just eats fewer calories and exercises they will lose weight. Yeah sure, and any short term study will show that. The problem, as Taubes's book catalogs, is that willpower notwithstanding, the body will eventually force a person to eat more, to be more sedentary, etc. for physiological reasons, primal drives here.

So no matter what you can say about carbs on paper or in a temporary study, what works "in the real world" for people may be another story. No diet helps you if you aren't on it.

I think higher carb (but not high carb) diets probably work for lots of people. But to me, and my body's reaction to carbs, to me it's like putting alcoholics on the two beers a day plan. Sounds good on paper, but wouldn't work for many in the real world.