#56   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 01:25

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
Yeah Lisa - not meaning to be rude but I'm not new to Kwasniewski's ideas or the science behind high fatting - I used to hang out at the Optimal forum for quite awhile, and yes, of course I am keeping up with the thread. But no, it doesn't explain about this. I want the science. Who actually has the book? What does it say?
Optimal Nutrition p45 says "If a person doesn't eat carbohydrates at all, he can still create the necessary amount of them from glycerol and protein. However, to avoid forcing your body to do that, it is best to supply it with a slight quantity of carbohydrates in food." On p38 it talks about how when protein is broken down the body has to get rid of the nitrogen and "While expelling nitrogen, the body necessarily loses a lot of hydrogen, which is an excellent fuel. For every atom of nitrogen a body gets rid of, it must also lose 3 atoms of hydrogen in ammonia and another 2 atoms of hydrogen in urea. This gives the liver in kidneys more work to do. Therefore protein consumption should be kept low. 50g of protein a day is enough for a healthy person on the OD, as long as it is animal protein."

I can understand why we wouldn't want to eat huge amounts of excess protein, but is eating 90g instead of 50g really that hard on the body? He does not touch on this question in either of his books. How much work is turning 40g of protein into 20g of carbs compared to the work required to produce the insulin to deal with 20g of carbs from wheat flour or potato, which elsewhere he describes as foods to avoid???

On p102 he says diabetics should limit themselves to 50g +/- 15g (35-65) carbs to keep them out of ketosis. 35g takes me out of ketosis, so do I really need more?