View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-03-17, 10:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

In a similar vein, though, send somebody into space, they'll lose bone and muscle mass. Or give them excessive bed rest, it hasn't been established that diet alone can make up for these, any diet.

Can exercise improve b12 status? I can think of one way--increased appetite. It's often pointed out that exercise can work against weight loss, but then weight loss is not always the desired outcome. Exercise can improve recovery of lean mass, with starvation, or improve the ratio of lean to fat mass put on (I'll say improve, because it pushes things closer to what they would have been without deprivation) at a given protein intake.

Just like food, exercise is an input that has an effect on hormonal expression, so just like food, I don't think you can say, this is hormonally controlled, so exercise lacks relevance.

Can you be healthy without being fit? Well, I'm not fit to run a marathon, I think I can be healthy without that. I'm not fit to be on the Canadian Olympic gymnastic team, hopefully that's not a requirement... but let's make this average person useful, I can climb a hill or stairs, I can bend over and tie my shoes, I can stand all day working without a whole lot of discomfort, I can squat. At some point you get diminishing returns, when it comes to health, optimizing for strength, speed, endurance are not optimizing for health--but I do think enough activity to develop decent balance, reasonable strength, a spring in your step is conducive to health, how much exercise is optimal, we don't know, I think we do know that being sedentary is not optimal, though.