#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%
Question Allergic reaction to meat products

When I was young, I was allergic to poultry. The only part of a chicken I could eat was the liver! I usually tried to stay away from eating poultry because I would feel horrible afterward. By my late 20s, the allergy had disappeared.

Yesterday, I ate pork rinds. This is not something I have eaten throughout my life, but I felt like eating a low carb crunchy (junk) snack food.

About three hours after eating them, I became the most itchy I have ever been. I think I broke out in hives from my waist to my toes. Even my ears felt like they were closing up. I didn't turn on the light to look, so I don't know if my hives were red, but I do know they were raised because I could feel them. I took some Benadryl and put on anti-itch lotion and finally went to sleep. When I woke up, I was OK.

Has anyone else had a reaction to meat or meat products? Researching this, I found these interesting links.

Pork-Cat Syndrome (I am allergic to cats.)

Tick Bite-Induced Meat Allergies

It's also possible I was having a reaction to the high temperature in the room where I was sleeping because the air conditioner hadn't been on in there, so it was hot. However, the more I think about it, I think it was the pork rinds. Needless to say, I'm not going to rush to the store to buy more anytime soon.

Sponsored Links