View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 15:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default If I can do this, anyone can

This is great information, because it confirms that I'm on the right track. I chose a fitness centre that's a five-minute walk from my office and has a corporate rate with my employer. I asked a co-worker who goes regularly to help me get in the door. It's a cliche, but that really was the hardest step. I stopped being self-conscious after about one session. It's a downtown location and most people are fitting their workout into their work lives and are totally focused on what they're doing.

The only difference from the plan outlined above is that I'm doing my weight training on Kaiser equipment. I am a total klutz, and I have no kinesthetic memory. I've been told by people who work out a lot that the machines can get boring, but they're a lot less intimidating than free weights. I've taken advantage of some free orientation sessions they offer with a trainer who figured out the best weights for my first few sessions and showed me some abdominal and stretching exercises as well. I'm planning to do paid sessions with her every few weeks to make sure I'm on track. Perhaps when I get a bit more confidence I will start using free weights. As it is, I've forgotten how to do one of three exercises she showed me last week.

I'm posting this because I want anyone who's hesitating because they feel awkward and out of place to know that if an introverted, overweight, 51-year-old woman can do this, anyone can. I don't feel awkward any more; I'm proud of myself for doing it, and I feel great.

Susan