View Single Post
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 07:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 300/226/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 49%

OH, it's so wonderful to see that last post. That was my third attempt.

I'd like to add that the Lights Out idea makes more and more sense to me. Artificial lighting is a particular manifestation of the industrial revolution that I had come to take so for granted that it surprised me when I realized how new and different things are now. This is a change in our culture almost on a par with the agricultural revolution.

I believe we are still in the midst of this change. Even 30 years ago, when I was a young adult, people went to bed earlier than they do now. Then, one am was staying up late. Now, that's just the beginning of the evening for some.

Of course, my grandparents couldn't believe how late young folks stayed up in the 60's. They were the first generation to have electric light available and they used it to extend daylight by only a few hours. For the most part the slept by the same schedule they grew up with.

Wiley thinks the soaring rates of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease directly tie in to our endless summers of light and sugar consumption. She even suggests that this may lead to our extinction as a species.

I'm trying to sleep more, but it's hard. We're going camping this weekend. I hope I get to see some real darkness. For sure I'll be sleeping and rising more in synch with the sun.