#6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 21:55

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
And no, I don't live with anyone not on the same plan, although he doesn't always act as if he knows that! He follows mouth hunger rather than real hunger and he eats fast so I'm sure he doesn't feel satisfaction until long after it happens.

Anyway, he doesn't cook so he eats what I make and I refuse to make two meals. I know this is a very healthy way to eat, so if he wants to eat less healthy stuff, he has to buy it and cook it himself (not gonna happen!) For children in the household, I really don't think there's any reason to teach them to expect carby or starchy foods at meal times, but I sure don't have an answer for how to teach them to eat the right things at school provided meals. Our schools didn't provide meals when my kids were that age. That's got to be a huge problem.

Anyway, I don't believe there's any health reason to feed the non-low carbers any differently than you eat yourself ... this is a perfectly natural and healthy life-style. For treats, check up on the "sweet treats" section of the kitchen and recipes area. Loads of good stuff there that are really kid-friendly ... even husband-friendly!!

Well...the downside is that my children at home are late teens, so they are pretty well set in their ways. The upside is that we homeschool and I do the grocery shopping. Basically everyone eats what I buy for the most part.

But, yeah..dh is also set in his ways. Even though he depends on my shopping and our cooking, he still expects some carb items for the most part. He's Italian and loves bread and pasta (and yes, potatoes). We go too long without those sides and he starts complaining.

It's weird...he knows I do good on lc (less moodiness/depression) and supports it on the one hand, but then on the other he tells me there's no reason I shouldn't be able to have hc stuff some times. He's always the first to say that there's no reason for me to have just one bite, one serving, etc. But he's also the first to be glad when I get back to lc.

And dh influences the way dc eat (even though he complains incessantly about youngest ds weight - which is off the charts)...so there's always some sort of temptation here.

Bottom line is that dh is sold on the SAD low fat, low cal diet - even though he has seen over YEARS that I am healthier on low carb high fat. He calls me his white lilly (I have other unusual health issues).....I need special care, so it doesn't really apply to anyone else. It is FRUSTRATING to say the least - especially since he's had bad test results that he thinks he should fix with meds and low fat/low calorie.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that I can only control my dh and dc food to a certain extent...but their food is still in my house and how do I handle the temptation and the prompts that it's okay to have them "sometimes?" Guess it's just a mental thing I'm going to have to figure out. <sigh>