View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 02:17

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

This is what I wrote few days ago:

Also the less carb you eat the less carb you need to create not only cravings but also blood sugar instability. It's like as if decreasing a food to very low levels makes your body even more intolerant to that thing. When I was eating 10 grams of carbs from veggies, whatever kind of more concentrated carb including greek yogurt was sending my blood sugar through the roof and triggering abnormal cravings from starches and sweets.
But when I switched to 30 grams of carbs my cravings alarm and my blood sugar metabolism had already adapted to more concentrated carbs. At 50 grams of carb even more kind of carbs were tolerated by my blood glucose and didn't cause any craving. When I tried Life Without Bread with 72 grams of carbs, I could eat a lot of more carbs and an higher variety without ill effects in my cravings and blood sugar. I could even cheat without developing cravings or sending my bg to the hyperspace. That was absolutely impossible at lower carb intakes !

Jeff, I know this is antithesis to low carb philosophy, but if you have bad lows you can feel immediately better by eating 5 smarties Ce De Candy discs. They contain 2-3 grams of glucose which is all you need to stop an hypo episode. Many people are opposed to using sugar to treat hypo because they remember feeling better at the beginning and then having a worse attack an hour later. So they think that sugar creates a vicious cycle. This is true as long as when you have an hypo you run to the kitchen to gorge on biscuits, puddings and eating jam and honey by the spoon. You're indeed making your hypo worse by trying to make it better with gorging on sugar. But 2-3 grams of glucose is nothing, it will make you feel better instantly and you won't have a glycemic rebound effect. Also, if you feel immediately better after eating the 5 candy discs, you will know for sure you're suffering from reactive low blood glucose.