View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 05:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

They actually used artificial sweetener as the control.

Quote:
For all testing procedures, the volunteers ate the exact same foods throughout the day. During one of the visits, they ate a diet consisting of 15% protein and for the other visit they ate a diet consisting of 30% protein. At each meal, they had either a sugar-sweetened drink or an artificially sweetened drink. After each meal, we asked the participant about their hunger and desire to eat certain types of foods.

So maybe what we should want to see is a study with sugar and sweetener vs. plain water. We can't know whether the sweetener had an effect compared to that.

Quote:
Additionally, we found that, over the course of a day, the body only expended 80 of the 120 kcals that was provided by the sugar-sweetened drink, thus creating a 40-kcal surplus independent of how much protein was in the meal.

So, there's some stuff in the text about reduced thermogenesis. But over the course of the day, the people on sugar ate 120 calories more than the people on sweeteners--and burned 80 calories more than they did. So while thermogenesis in the rested, post-meal state was lower, perhaps they paced around more or were twitchier at some point during the postabsorptive state.

Pairing the sugar with the higher protein meal increased the decrease in thermogenesis--but there's that 40 calorie surplus "independent of how much protein" to deal with.

If you stuck me in that little chamber, and researchers I didn't know very well poked and prodded at me all day, I think that alone would have a strong effect on my metabolism. The stress would likely have me bouncing off the walls.