View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-17, 09:24

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hey thanks, GRB -- I too need to circumvent that statin discussion.

10 months into low carb, 70 + pound weight loss, and my ldl had shot up to nearly 200. (A few years ago -- last time tested -- I was very overweight, but my LDL was only 108.)

I think it may be because I am still losing weight and in ketosis, hence blood lipids are reflecting the fact that MY fat is fueling me and in my bloodstream????

My HDL had gone up to 69. Triglycerides were in the normal range -- 140 -- but that is too high for low carbing.

So I am now doing the flaxseed muffin thing, and am cutting back on dairy and upping the fish oil, sardines, fish consumption, avocados, and olive oil.

I am close to my goal weight and am hoping my cholesterol profile looks better.

My doc is MOSTLY on board with low carb, but he has some traditionalist blind spots (like about bacon!!!) and LDL numbers... however, he is willing to wait and see where I stabilize, and also order a particle size test. I am pretty sure when I do all that, and am at goal weight, the issue will resolve itself.

I am NOT going on statins, no matter what... but I wouldn't mind getting those numbers at least in a less "smoke alarm" range.