Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 08:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I got an entirely different perception.

Take this passage;

Quote:
Back then, seven per cent of women were diabetic and only two per cent of men. Then came the imports. More regular shipping brought unthinkably exotic foodstuffs: mutton flaps, turkey tails, even ice cream. Cooperative stores opened up on each atoll, and the United Nations supplied the islanders with freezers.

In the 14 years after the researchers’ first visit, coconut consumption fell by a fifth. Meanwhile, islanders discovered sugar: in 1961, each Tokelauan imported only 7lb; by 1980, it was 69lb. The effect was swift. When the researchers returned in the early 1980s, twice the number of women and three times the number of men were diabetic.

Fatty mutton flaps and turkey tails are mentioned. But the placement of "The effect was swift" in a separate paragraph, right after the statement about sugar going up tend fold really seems to imply a stronger causative role for sugar. He goes on to say that when supply ships couldn't make it to the island, sugar ran out, and people, including some of the diabetics, lost weight and felt better.

I don't think you can rule out a role for fat--although I do think you can rule out the idea that a diet being high in fat, in and of itself, causes diabetes. I do much better on a high fat diet than I would on a high sugar diet, but I sort of doubt that replacing low fat candy with fudge would do me much good.