View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 04:59

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

[QUOTE=burbuja]I'm a little nervous to begin because there really aren't a ton of LC runners out there and I wonder if there's a reason for that. [QUOTE=burbuja]

I think the biggest reason is people have been fed the wrong information for so long. I did a RAW food diet last year, which consisted of raw fruit and veggies (organic to boot) I lost 20lbs really quickly (20 days) My resting hear rate went from 84 (pre-diet) to 54bpm. I felt really good (even though the food was outrageously expensive) I felt hungry all the time but would just eat a huge salad or a bunch of fruit. It felt good to just be able to eat when I was hungry without gaining weight. The two downsides to this were #1 I could not afford to purchase the food long term ($1,000 in food for 20 days just for me) #2 I had only enough energy to do minimal things- When I would run on this diet, I would get to a certain point and just conk. That distance got shorter with the longer period of time I was on it.

So when I started LC I thought the same thing would happen. My HR was again 84 before LC, it is now 63. MY runs are actually faster now and greater distances. Because your body is using fat for fuel (which is 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories for carbs) you actually get a little over twice the volume of energy and you don't get that lactic acid buildup (the burn).

Another thing I love about this is that before I would be nervous if I ate enough food the night before a big run and if I had enough "Gu" with me, now I don't even bother, because it doesn't matter if I ate small or large the day before, I am using body fat.

Today I am running a trail run, my running group is doing 26.2 miles (2 loops of one trail and an out and back of another trail) I am going to do 1 loop, but if I feel good I may do 2- giving me 20. I will let you know how I make out.