View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Atkins has actually made me into a cook and a foodie. When I started, I didn't really know how to cook or plan meals at all, but it quickly became obvious that I'd have to learn. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it, and I've become quite good at it, which is fortunate because I spend huge amounts of time doing it (DH and I both work from home, so I'm serving two full meals a day). I really think that cooking and meal planning has been the key to my success -- I don't get bored with my food because I'm always trying new and tasty things, and my meals are nutritionally well-balanced because I plan them out ahead of time. If I'm not thinking about what I'm eating, I tend not to eat enough veggies, and to decide that a couple of hard-boiled eggs and some cheese is an adequate meal.

However, I do know what you mean when it comes to desserts and baking. Making desserts is more challenging and interesting than yet-another-chicken-recipe, and I'd love to do it every week. It's nice to have a little something on Saturday nights, when we usually have a good steak, "fancy" vegetable dish, and a glass of wine. Plus, if I go too long without making a dessert, DH is sure to come home from the grocery store one day with a bag of Russell Stovers. However, I don't agree with eating dessert (other than yogurt or fruit) on a daily basis, and that's what happens for a week if I make a cheesecake or a cake -- I have trouble just throwing away perfectly good leftovers that took time and money to make. I try to limit dessert-making to once a month, and to organize it so that we'll have company to help us eat the proceeds, but sometimes I do get pouty when I've got a new recipe I want to try.