#6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-17-15, 13:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I see this a lot on the forum, and I think it needs to be highlighted. Often the ones obsessing about each and every foodstuff are the ones who go off plan over and over again, and maybe don't give their body much chance to heal long term.
Very true. I'm one of those who is a daily weigher and I *need* to be a daily weigher, but I use it has a tool and don't obsess about it. Hey, after six years of watching the scale bounce up/down/up/down over and over again in a 5-20 pound range I'd probably be in the looney bin by now if I got too obsessed. , But I know if I *don't* weigh daily I can be in big trouble. I get too much of the mindset of: 1)"Hey, I can eat _this_(insert naughty food of choice) because I don't have to weigh myself for a week, or two, or three, and I'll get back on plan and lose the weight before then". So I do, but then the next day or two I'll eat something naughty again as I know I *still* have plenty of time before I need to weigh in. Of course then weigh-in day comes and I say 2)"well I really did eat a lot of naughty stuff. I better push weigh-in day off another week or two or three so I don't get depressed with the scale." so I push it off, revert back to step one.

Then before you know it I haven't been on the scale in a month or two, so at some point I do gingerly step on, and find I'm up 40-50 pounds (and yes I find it very easy to gain 40-50 pounds in that sort of time frame), and then I say 3) "screw it, I'm going out to have a hot fudge sundae". That's how every diet I've failed on has gone, so daily weighing totally prevents that. I still gain at the drop of a hat. Gained almost 5 pounds this week from eating an ad lib LCHF diet, so went back on the Potato Hack and am back down 4. A five-pound gain can be dealt with. A 50-pound gain is too depressing to contemplate.

I think Amy's advice about the scale may be good for the generally healthy woman who feels she'd look better if she could just drop 20 pounds, but maybe not so much for people like me!