View Single Post
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 07:55
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Ahh ok. Which version of Atkins are you following?

Just curious--Why do you think that cutting carbs is the first thing to try? For sure, there are some carbs that shouldn't be consumed early on in the diet and since you seem to be moving up the rungs, you are probably avoiding most. Are you consuming sweeteners at all? Are you following the recommended amounts of cheese and dairy? Sometimes people stall from those two things.

During induction, I lost 5lbs and hovered around on the same 3lbs (160-162) for about 5 weeks, which was super frustrating. The thing that helped me out a lot was to find out what my BMR was and try to eat to that for a while. I lost a 5-6lbs doing that and then hovered for a couple of weeks between 154-156, then because life got busy (selling/buying a house), I quit watching calories and just ate legal (and within my carbs) and dropped another 3-4lbs. This tells me that (for me) changing things up (calorie-wise) tends to work in my favor. For the record, the calories were somewhere between 1300-2000 on any given day while I was losing the last time.

Another thing I did was to skip figuring out net carbs, which actually does bring carbs down quite a bit, treating every carb the same whether it's regular carb or fiber. This seems to have worked as well.

The last thing I did was to make sure to move up the rungs (which you are doing, it seems).

I'm not at all sure if this is your issue, but one thing that really made things confusing while I was experiencing that first 5 week stall was when I tried to put many pieces of advice into practice at the same time. Like you, I got a few different recommendations from people here and tried to do them all, but in the end it was just confusing. Every person's body is different and responds in its own way to changes, so it's important to move slowly and see how your body responds--much in the same way that Dr. Atkins suggests spending 1-2 weeks (or however long you need to) on each rung so that we can get a feel for how our body is responding to new added foods. It takes time to find that 'sweet spot', and sometimes trying to do too many things at once can work against us getting to know our own body.

Anyway, I'm not sure if any of that helps at all, but I'm sure with time and patience, you will learn what works and what doesn't. Hang in there!