View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-17, 05:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The diagram just lacks some information, maybe where it was originally yoinked from there was supplementary text. Type 1 diabetics are prone to low blood glucose because of injecting insulin, and because mainstream dietary advice makes it hard to maintain glucose in a normal range. There are also issues like gastroparesis, compromised stomach emptying makes it hard to predict just when the carbohydrate in a meal will hit the system. injected insulin plus delayed absorption of dietary carbohydrate that the insulin was supposed to cover can make for a hypo. So there's a history of worrying more about hypos with type 1 diabetics, most of the long term damage might be done by elevated blood glucose, but higher than ideal blood glucose that leads to chronic, decade spanning complications has been recommended as a buffer to protect from acute hypos that can be immediately life threatening. Bernstein's law of small numbers, keeping carbohydrates low makes it much easier to get insulin just right and manage a normal blood glucose without hypos.

Trying to match what happens with centrally secreted insulin in a non-diabetic with peripherally administered insulin is ridiculous, if I eat some carbs, hopefully the lion's share of the insulin will be cleared by my liver, also the alpha cells will get the first effect of the increased insulin and reduce glucagon secretion, reducing insulin requirement, and my fat cells but maybe more importantly the cells lining my artery walls etc. won't be exposed to that much insulin, with a type I after a large carbohydrate meal, even if they could manage their blood glucose perfectly with exogenous insulin it would involve higher levels of insulin in the general circulation.